Follow me on Pinterest

Followers

19 January 2015

Hogwarts: A History

From Harry Potter wikia, linked below

One of the most magical places on Earth (both because of all the magic running through the halls and because of it's sheer awesomeness....Hogwarts.  However, would you be one of the few (I'm thinking you and Hermione Granger) to actually read the entire history as written by Bathilda Bagshot?  I might try now, but at age 11 when it was required, probably not.  
photo credit:  me!  From my trip this past summer!

But now, I'm older and can appreciate it better.  Here are some things I would have missed:
     *Muggle technology cannot be used within the grounds (there goes my theory that things would have been a lot easier with Wizarding google and Wizarding cell phones)

And because I opened the wikipedia wormhole, I wanted to look up, not just the book, but also Hogwarts.  And here is some interesting information I found:
     *I didn't realize that the school motto translated into: Never tickle a sleeping dragon
     *There are 142 staircases, many of which move.
     *There are no electrical devices.  I assumed that there were lights and big refrigerators and ovens in the kitchens.   
     *It was founded in 990 A.D.  (which is smack dab in the Middle Ages, and before the 1066 Battle of Hastings in England where the Norman-French army took over Anglo-Saxon Britain---sorry, I do love history.)  
     *According to the wiki page (linked above), many parts of the castle were destroyed during the 1998 Battle of Hogwarts (duh), but what I didn't know was that it will take until 2017 to complete repairs.  I guess Wizard contractors move slow.  
     *School starts later (September 1st) than many schools in the US, has a 3 week Christmas break, a 1 week Easter break and a 9 week summer holiday.  Which means that they get out about the same time I do in June.  I could work with that schedule.   

At family gatherings, my cousin and I always end up talking about Harry Potter.  One of his best thoughts was regarding Hogwarts and the Chamber of Secrets.  Also plumbing.  In summary...Obviously, Hogwarts was not built with indoor plumbing.  Wizards are good, but I'm sure didn't plan for that.  So, when the Wizard contractor was there doing work, why didn't they see the Chamber of Secrets?   

What are your thoughts on Hogwarts?  Any unanswered questions?  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Gold stars given to good comments.