Follow me on Pinterest

Followers

16 August 2012

Review: Witch and Wizard series *spoilers*

image from google image search
I started reading the Witch and Wizard series by James Patterson because a young friend recommended it.  She said it was her favorite series (I can't remember for certain, but the words, "Of all time" may have been mentioned.) 

Before you read any further, please know that I do mention spoilers.  I'm sorry, you know I try not to do that, but this time I felt I had to do it!

Back in my murder mystery days, I read all sorts of James Patterson.  His books are insanely popular, but there was always a disconnect for me.  There was just something about them that I didn't like.  But, I couldn't turn down a stellar recommendation like that, so I tried them.

I read book 1 and 3 and listened to book 2 on audio.  The library didn't have the hard copy of 2 at the time and I didn't want to wait between books to start reading.  I knew I'd forget stuff and it just wouldn't be the same.

I liked that both main characters narrated alternating chapters.  It really moved the story along to get both of their perspectives.  It was great in audio as they had two different actors reading the parts (Whit was read by Elijah Wood.  I can't remember who read Wisty's part).

Each book was co-authored by James Patterson and someone else.  They had the typical James Patterson feel, but like with Jodi Piccoult's book coauthored with her daughter, I just wonder how much writing "the name author" did, or if they just looked over what the other author wrote, put their personal touch on it and got their name in the big letters.

There were several parts of the books that left me confused and wondering what really happened (characters dying/not dying, characters being good or bad, etc).  There were also just so many characters that were introduced and then didn't really play any sort of part in the story, then not mentioned until the end of the book or even not again until another book that I got confused. 

I'm putting it out there that I have no idea what Pearce was and what role he played in the entire thing.  I don't know how he died.  If he even died.  I don't know where he came from.  I don't know how he got linked with The One.  I have no idea why he was even introduced (because he wasn't until the very last book).

I also don't understand how Whit and Wisty beat The One at the end.  I don't get the end at all.  Seriously, if you've read it, please explain.

I guess I question things too much.  I can see how kids would like the series.  Its very fast paced and full of action.  For me, it was confusing. 

Here are the summaries of each book (from amazon):
 
The world is changing: the government has seized control of every aspect of society, and now, kids are disappearing. For 15-year-old Wisty and her older brother Whit, life turns upside down when they are torn from their parents one night and slammed into a secret prison for no reason they can comprehend. The New Order, as it is known, is clearly trying to suppress Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Being a Normal Teenager. But while trapped in this totalitarian nightmare, Wisty and Whit discover they have incredible powers they'd never dreamed of. Can this newly minted witch and wizard master their skills in time to save themselves, their parents--and maybe the world?

 When they were imprisoned by the new, brutal government, Whit and Whisty were barely able to escape with their lives. Discovering a hidden community of children like themselves--hunted by the state and with varying degrees of special talents--they have taken refuge underground. But the New Order is rapidly pushing in on them from all sides, and the pressure to stop the regime is mounting.

One day, as they rush to save another group of kids who are about to be captured by police, Whit and Whisty discover not only their own faces plastered to buildings on wanted posters, but also their parents'. When the hunting party sent out after the siblings always seems to be one step ahead of them, they begin to fear that it is controlled by a very, very powerful force. They are in much more danger than they feared...

With heart-pounding suspense and terrifying plot twists, this highly-anticipated sequel to James Patterson's newest series will thrill you until its jaw-dropping conclusion.

Whit and Wisty Allgood have sacrificed everything to lead the resistance against the merciless totalitarian regime that governs their world. Its supreme leader, The One Who Is The One, has banned everything they hold dear: books, music, art, and imagination. But the growing strength of the siblings' magic hasn't been enough to stop the One's evil rampage, and now he's executed the only family they had left.

Wisty knows that the time has finally come for her to face The One. But her fight and her fire only channel more power to this already invincible being. How can she and Whit possibly prepare for their imminent showdown with the ruthless villain that devastated their world-before he can truly become all-powerful?

In this stunning third installment of the epic Witch & Wizard series, the stakes have never been higher--and the consequences will change everything.

1 comment:

  1. I think what made it great for those particular reviewers was that we had the audio on a road trip. They also liked the sometimes sassy way Wisty talked. I honestly couldn't read the second after listening to the first for many of the same reasons you mentioned. Adie was not interested in the third book (a rarity for a kid who whipped through HP and many other meaty series). Both girls are excited you read it!

    ReplyDelete

Gold stars given to good comments.