Follow me on Pinterest

Followers

26 April 2012

World Book Night Wrap Up / Bookography

I was so proud to be chosen to participate in World Book Night this year.  My first thought was, "Oh my gosh!  I'm going to give books out at my school!"  Well, I was close---I actually got my second choice book (The Hunger Games)---which I gave out at Stonewall Jackson High School (Quicksburg, VA).

You're probably thinking, "Ok, everyone has read The Hunger Games.  The movie is HUGE right now."  You're right, it is.  But, I live in a rural area.  The elementary school that I teach at (that feeds into SJHS) is a Title 1 school, which means that we have over 50% of our students on free and reduced lunch.  For many families, there isn't money left over for extras, like books.  A lot of students don't have any books in their home.  I wanted to give our students, especially those that are "reluctant readers", the opportunity to own their own copy of such a wonderful book.  

But, here is a picture of the school Monday morning (note the horrible, gray sky!  It was 43 degrees and rainy!)

Here's me, sporting my button (why yes, I do have an "I Love Lucy" vitameatavegamin poster in my classroom...BEST. EPISODE. EVER)


As you can see, I have not yet mastered the fine art of taking a picture of myself without it looking like I have 5 chins.  Believe it or not, this was the best....


Pictures of the books :)

I went back over on Thursday during my planning and was able to hand out books to a class of students (many of whom I remember from their elementary school days!)  Here are some pictures Mrs. Bates was awesome enough to send me!   



I just want to thank Mr. Dorman (the SJHS principal), Mrs. Bates (the SJHS librarian), Mrs. Swab (whose class I invaded) and the World Book Night organization for allowing me to take part in this.  I hope to be able to participate again next year.

(Bookography is a post hosted by Kristina @ Kristina's World of Books)

1 comment:

  1. That is so awesome! Handing out books and documenting the experience with pictures!

    ReplyDelete

Gold stars given to good comments.