Follow me on Pinterest

Followers

18 December 2011

Seasons Readings: Miss Holly is Too Jolly

I don't know about you, but I kind of wish I taught at Ella Mentry School (author Dan Gutman's "My Weird School").  I really think I'd fit in.  But the only title I could think of for a book staring me is, "Mrs. Furman is Squirmin"....and that just sounds like I couldn't sit still at a meeting or something...too bad  (don't even get me started on my maiden name, that doesn't rhyme with ANYTHING!)
 
Here is the summary for Miss Holly is Too Jolly by Dan Gutman from Goodreads:
Something weird is going on!

Miss Holly, the Spanish teacher, is hanging mistletoe everywhere! That means boys will have to kiss girls. And girls will have to kiss boys. Ugh! Miss Holly is taking the holidays way too far! 

This book is laugh out loud hilarious!  I read it with my students every year (of course they can pronounce the Spanish parts way better than me!) and we giggle all the time at AJ's antics (especially the first sentence of the entire book, "Me llamo AJ y me odio la escuela.", whic means, "My name is AJ and I hate school."...gets gasps and giggles every time!)

That crazy Miss Holly is organizing the holiday show, and AJ and his friends decide, that instead of being elves, they are Elvis' (Elvi?  whats the proper plural?).  So, not only do they have to deal with Miss Holly, but, their class is doing a Secret Santa gift exchange and AJ gets Emily's name (the horrors!).

This book is a chapter book, but I wouldn't call it a "beginning chapter book", but its also not an "advanced chapter book" either.  Its just for your solid readers.  The reading level on it is mid-late third grade, but I've read it with 5th graders, and I've seen 2nd graders reading this series, so it depends on the reader.  That being said, this is part of a series, My Weird School, and getting a kid interested in a series is great!
Don't forget to head over to the Seasons Readings page and check out the other books/reviews and to link up your own! 

1 comment:

  1. This sounds so cute. I will have to look for it. Great review.
    -FABR Steph@FiveAlarmBookReviews

    ReplyDelete

Gold stars given to good comments.