Follow me on Pinterest

Followers

29 December 2011

Seasons Readings: A Midnight Clear by Katherine Paterson

This book, A Midnight Clear: Selected Family Christmas Stories by Katherine Paterson, was given to me this year by one of my third graders.  I guess she knew that I liked Christmas books and saw that it was one that I didn't have yet. 
A Midnight Clear: Family Christmas Stories 
Here is the summary from Goodreads:
Katherine Paterson illuminates the true meaning of Christmas in twelve modern-day stories written over the years for her husband, a pastor, to read to his congregation on each Christmas Eve. A man driving to see his dying father picks up a young hitchhiker who attempts to rob him; a proud and lonely widow is befriended by a persevering boy trying to earn a star for his church group; in Communist China, a female scholar and an old night watchman secretly bond together to read the Bible. Whether depicting a child coping with disappointment or a couple awaiting the birth of their baby, all these stories present a vision of hope and peace harking back to that first Christmas two thousand years ago.

I admit, I have the "short" or abridged version, with only 6 stories instead of 12.  Doesn't matter, they are still sweet.  I liken them to the Chicken Soup for the Soul stories, feel-good, but you learn a lesson.  In this case, the Christmas spirit. 

All in all, a wonderful Christmas book to add to my collection.

Don't forget to head to the Seasons Readings page to check out the other books/reviews and to link up your own!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gold stars given to good comments.