Follow me on Pinterest

Followers

05 December 2011

Review: Mr. Putter and Tabby Ring the Bell

Mr. Putter and Tabby Ring the Bell by Cynthia Rylant is the latest addition to the ever-popular Mr. Putter and Tabby series.  Many of my students over the years have loved this series, and this book is another that they will love.
Here is the summary from Goodreads:

Dong! Dong! Dong!
The school bell is ringing. The crispy fall wind is blowing. Mr. Putter wishes he could go back to school—even for just one day. Then he has an idea: How about a visit during show-and-tell with Mrs. Teaberry, Tabby, and Zeke?
The teacher agrees, but there’s one problem. She and the students expect pet tricks. Will Tabby and Zeke be able to deliver?

What a cute book!  While the series is popular with my students, I haven't read any of them myself.  I think what I liked best about this series is that each book is a stand alone series, only the characters are reoccuring, you don't have to read all the others to understand and enjoy this one.

I loved that the book is a chapter book, but has wonderful illustrations and only (at most) 50 words a page.  Its a chapter book, but it isn't!  Its wonderful for readers of all ages---for younger students, it looks like a big bad chapter book; for older students, it doesn't look like a "baby picture book" (as I've been told by some students).

I would definitely recommend this book to my students.

This book was a Cybils nominated book in the Easy Readers category by Maria Ciccone of The Serpentine Library.

All opinions expressed in this review are my own and not that of the committee.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gold stars given to good comments.