Follow me on Pinterest

Followers

11 June 2015

Bittersweet endings and new beginnings

Today is the last day of school here in Shenandoah County.  It's always a bittersweet time for me as I'm excited for summer and days off, but I'm also sad because I'll miss my students, especially those leaving me and going off to the middle school (you see, most of them I've worked with directly for 3 years, and have at least seen in passing for 6).

This year is going to be more challenging.  Today is also my last day at Ashby Lee.  After nine years of teaching English as a Second Language, I'm leaving to take a similar job in Winchester City, which is a much closer commute from our new home.

It's hard leaving my "home" and "family".  These are the people I've seen practically every day for nine years.  We've laughed together, cried together, grumped together, and it's just tough.  We've had our ups and downs.  For a variety of reasons that I don't want to get into, this year has been difficult.  And I don't want that negative feeling about my days to influence how I feel about ALES in the long run.  I want to remember the good times and people.

That being said, I am very excited about my new position.  I will be working in a school that is predominantly ELL, and also high poverty.  I'm sure there will be difficulties and challenges, but I'm ready for them.

I hope like Hogwarts, Ashby Lee will always be there to welcome me home.
image from hogwartsalumni.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gold stars given to good comments.