Follow me on Pinterest

Followers

09 January 2015

Did the Sorting Hat get it right?

When Pottermore opened and you could get sorted into your House, I was beside myself with excitement.  I wanted to know what House I was going to be in.  Where did I belong?  I was convinced that I was Gryffindor because, who wouldn't want to be Gryffindor?

And then when I finally was sorted, I was sorted into Slytherin.  I WAS SO MAD.  I did NOT belong in Slytherin.  I attribute that faulty placement to the fact that I had a bad day.

This was not me.
  1. Founded by Salazar Slytherin, the house is composed mostly of pure-blood students, due to its founder's mistrust of Muggle-borns. The house is traditionally home to students who exhibit such traits as cunning,resourcefulness, and ambition.

So what did I do?  I did not believe I could belong in Slytherin, so I created another Pottermore account and played through until I got sorted again.

And this time I got Hufflepuff.  HUFFLEPUFF?!?!!  Those dorks?  No thank you.
  1. Hufflepuff is one of the four Houses of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Its founder was the medieval witch Helga Hufflepuff. Hufflepuff is the most inclusive among the four houses; valuing hard work, patienceloyalty, and fair play rather than a particular aptitude in its members.
So I created another Pottermore account.  And this time got Ravenclaw.
  1. Ravenclaw values intelligence, knowledge, and wit. Its emblematic animal is the eagle, and its colours are blue and bronze. The Ravenclaw Head of House in the 1990s was Filius Flitwick. The ghost of Ravenclaw is the Grey Lady, who was the daughter of Rowena Ravenclaw, the house's founder.
Which was better.  But I wasn't convinced.  I had to have a decisive answer.  I decided that I'd create another account and whichever House I got that time was it.  I was sure at this point that I wouldn't get Gryffindor.  So of the three, whichever one I got, was going to be it.

And I got Hufflepuff.
And as soon as I made that face, I realized that yeah, I'm totally Hufflepuff.  I'm patient, loyal and fair.

But I'm not Gryffindor.
  1. Gryffindor values bravery, daring, nerve, and chivalry. Its emblematic animal is the lion and its colours are scarlet and gold.
I'm not brave or daring.  I'm not a "hothead".  I'm slow and methodical.  And I think problems through while weighing all options.  To me, that's Hufflepuff.  And I've embraced it.  I welcome the Hufflepuff-ness of my nature.  But I'll totally go honeybadger on you if you insult us.

Yes, I have my Ravenclaw moments, and then I do something stupid and I'm like, duh.  Or when I have a bad day and lash out, that's totally Slytherin.

What do you think?  Were you sorted correctly?  Or did you do like I did and create numerous accounts until you got one you agreed with?

My last thought on the Sorting Hat is that we all have qualities that belong in every House.  Some just more than others.

House traits/descriptions found on HarryPotter.wikia.com
Grace Adler Gif from Tumblr

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gold stars given to good comments.