Follow me on Pinterest

Followers

06 February 2013

Review: A Wrinkle in Time The Graphic Novel

A Wrinkle in Time: The Graphic Novel 
I don't know why I never read Madeleine L'Engle's A WRINKLE IN TIME as a child.  Probably the same reason I've never read THE PHANTOM TOLLBOOTH or THE HOBBIT.  I tried, but they didn't interest my pre-teen self (and then, once I hit teenager-dom, it was all murder mysteries, romance novels, and historical fiction.  Bonus, if it was all three at once.  I'm looking at you, Nora Roberts and Danielle Steele.)  

But, back to A WRINKLE IN TIME.  I really enjoyed the book.  I don't have the original to compare it to, but I understood the story and didn't feel like anything was missing.  Of course I have questions, but if you've seen my {Deep Thoughts} posts, you know I often have questions about what I read.

I really liked Hope Larson's illustrations.  Once I figured out the format (top panel, middle panel, bottom, then the big one on the right), the book made total sense.  I like that it was only 3 main colors:  blue, black and white.  The illustrator really has to make their illustrations mean something when they can't rely on color to do it for them. 

I am adding this book my my (growing) list of books that I'll be sharing at our May (preliminary) Virginia Reader's Choice meeting.  It's a great book for the list for two main reasons: 
1.  Kids love graphic novels (I love graphic novels), they think its a fun format, but I know that struggling readers can pick this up and feel successful because there aren't as many words and the illustrations really help you understand.
2.)  I think it will draw children into reading more classic books. 
A WIN WIN FOR ALL INVOLVED!
 
Here is the book trailer that I found on youtube:

1 comment:

  1. I loved the Phantom Tollbooth and The Hobbit as a child! This book looks really interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Gold stars given to good comments.