Follow me on Pinterest

Followers

24 October 2012

Review: Ten by Gretchen McNeil

Source: pinerly.com via Amanda on Pinterest


I had the pleasure of reading TEN by Gretchen McNeil because it was the October selection for the Geeks Who Read Book Club.

I love a good murder mystery, but hate scary books/movies, so I wasn't sure how this one was going to play out.  Thankfully, it didn't scare the bejesus out of me, but rather, kept me on my toes.

Like I told a friend on Twitter, it reminded me of one of those teen scream movies, only better.  The plot was similar, I guess---teens at a secluded house, who mysteriously start to die.  Not to mention a creepy already dead girl, and old diary entries.  What made it different in my mind was that you couldn't guess who was going to die next (or why), and the ending.

I wish Meg could have had more confidence in herself---she was so unsure of everything (with Minnie & with TJ), but in reality, she was so strong.  She was the glue that held Minnie together.  She is a smart-alack.  She is a writer.  She's cool in the face of terror (mostly).

All in all, what a great Halloween read!  Ok, it would have been great read any time of year, but around made especially spookier with Halloween looming.  Granted, had this been a movie, I probably would have either hidden my face in my hands or run from the room screaming....

Summary from Amazon:
Shhhh! Don't spread the word! Three-day weekend. House party. White Rock House on Henry Island. You do not want to miss it. It was supposed to be the weekend of their lives—three days on Henry Island at an exclusive house party. Best friends Meg and Minnie each have their own reasons for wanting to be there, which involve their school's most eligible bachelor, T. J. Fletcher, and look forward to three glorious days of boys, bonding, and fun-filled luxury. But what they expect is definitely not what they get, and what starts out as fun turns dark and twisted after the discovery of a DVD with a sinister message: Vengeance is mine. Suddenly, people are dying, and with a storm raging outside, the teens are cut off from the rest of the world. No electricity, no phones, no internet, and a ferry that isn't scheduled to return for three days. As the deaths become more violent and the teens turn on each other, can Meg find the killer before more people die? Or is the killer closer to her than she could ever imagine?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gold stars given to good comments.