Follow me on Pinterest

Followers

12 June 2012

Review: Dust Girl

Dust Girl: American Fairy Trilogy 1 by Sarah Zettel is the 3rd book I've been lucky enough to read for the 2012 Debut Author Challenge.  While author Sarah Zettel has adult books (always sounds weird) published, this is her first novel for teenagers.
Here is the summary from Goodreads:
This new trilogy will capture the hearts of readers who adore Libba Bray's Gemma Doyle series. Callie LeRoux lives in Slow Run, Kansas, helping her mother run their small hotel and trying not to think about the father she's never met. Lately all of her energy is spent battling the constant storms plaguing the Dust Bowl and their effects on her health. Callie is left alone, when her mother goes missing in a dust storm. Her only hope comes from a mysterious man offering a few clues about her destiny and the path she must take to find her parents in "the golden hills of the west" (California). Along the way she meets Jack a young hobo boy who is happy to keep her company—there are dangerous, desperate people at every turn. And there's also an otherworldly threat to Callie. Warring fae factions, attached to the creative communities of American society, are very aware of the role this half-mortal, half-fae teenage girl plays in their fate.

I really liked the first two-thirds of this book.  I thought the premise of the story was interesting, I liked how the characters interacted, I liked how the Seelie fae were "bad" and the Unseelie were "good", and in general, kept me guessing.  Something happened though, and I just didn't like the ending and entire last third.  I really can't put my finger on it, it just lost its magic (for me) by the end.

I'm interested in seeing how the second and third books in the trilogy play out, so I guess the story interested me enough to make me want that, I'm not turned off completely.  Sometimes one book in a series just isn't as good as the others.

Publication information:
Date:  June 26, 2012
Pages: 336
ISBN: 9780375869389


I downloaded this book from NetGalley for free in exchange for a fair and honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gold stars given to good comments.