Follow me on Pinterest

Followers

21 December 2011

Seasons Readings: My Two Holidays

I picked My Two Holidays: A Hanukkah and Christmas Story by Danielle Novack up from the public library as the idea of the two stories interested me.  I'm glad I did, as it helped put celebrating the two holidays into the perspective of a child.
 
Here is the summary from Goodreads:
When Sammy's classmates take turns talking about which holiday they celebrate, Sammy becomes very nervous. Some people celebrate Christmas and some people celebrate Hanukkah. But Sammy celebrates both!

Written by a clinical psychologist, MY TWO HOLIDAYS offers comforting explanations that shine a light on how special it can be to celebrate two treasured holidays instead of one!

Sam loves just about everything about the holiday season.  He loves both Christmas and Hanukkah, but when asked, he feels embarrassed that his family celebrates both, until his mother explains that celebrating both holidays is a way of bringing the family together, and that both holidays are about celebrating with family, Sam feels proud of his holiday traditions.

I liked that this was a simply worded book with such a deep message.  Kids worry about stuff like that, but also need a concrete explanation as to why things are the way they are. 
Don't forget to head over to the Seasons Readings page and check out the other books / reviews and to link up your own!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gold stars given to good comments.