Follow me on Pinterest

Followers

24 December 2011

Seasons Readings: The Little Drummer Boy

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I love Christmas books.  I especially love Christmas books that are based on Christmas songs.  The Little Drummer Boy is one of my favorite traditional carols, and to have it paired with Ezra Jack Keats' wonderful illustrations makes this one of my new Christmas favorites.
 
Here is the summary from Goodreads:
A procession travels to Bethlehem, bringing gifts for the newborn baby Jesus. The little drummer boy comes along, although he is too poor to bring a present fit for a king. Instead, he plays a song on his drum for the Christ Child. Within the little drummer boy's seemingly simple gift lies the true spirit of Christmas. Ezra Jack Keats' vivid, jewel-toned artwork perfectly illustrates this classic holiday carol. Music for the song appears at the back of the book.

Using the lyrics and music written by Katherine Davis, Henry Onorati and Harry Simeone, Ezra Jack Keats' illustrations beautifully depict the story of a poor drummer boy, proud yet shy, joining the procession to meet the baby Jesus.
Don't forget to head over to the Seasons Readings page and check out the other books/reviews and link up your own!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gold stars given to good comments.