Follow me on Pinterest

Followers

31 August 2011

You Read to Me, I'll Read to You: Fairy Tales

You Read to Me, I'll Read to You: Fairy Tales by Mary Ann Hoberman and illustrated by Michael Emberley is a book that I can't wait to use in my classroom (and if we had kids, this is one that I'd be bringing home with me to read with Jr.)!  This was one of the books that we picked up during our cross country excursion at a Borders (I think Santa Fe).

YRtM, IRtY is a collection of shortened fairy tales that you read with two voices.  Person 1 reads one side of the page, and Person 2 reads the other.  And to make things even easier, its color coded!  This is perfect for two kids to practice fluency, or for a better reader (you) to read with your child.    The book takes the stories of The Three Bears, The Princess and the Pea, Jack and the Beanstalk, Little Red Riding Hood, Cinderella, The Three Little Pigs, The Little Red Hen and the Grain of Wheat, and The Three Billy Goats Gruff, shortens them and makes them cute, fun and easy to read.

In the state of Virginia in 3rd grade, one of the Standards of Learning (SOLs) in language arts understanding the basic plots of fairy tales, be able to summarize fiction, ask and answer questions about what is read, make confirm and revise predictions, draw conclusions about setting and plot, and compare and contrast stories (Reading SOL 3.5 a, c,d,f-j)

Just in my quick search for similar titles on amazon.com, there is a Mother Goose edition, scary stories, fables, stories from the 20th century, not to mention the first version (which I think has a mixture of stories, but am not 100% certain).

Anyway, the bottom line is, if you have, or teach, younger children, GET THIS BOOK! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gold stars given to good comments.