Follow me on Pinterest

Followers

29 July 2011

The Iron Fey series by Julie Kagawa

Magic, faeries, Shakespeare references, love triangles, whats not to love?  That's what I thought when I picked up the Iron Fey trilogy (The Iron King, The Iron Daughter, The Iron Queen) by Julie Kagawa.  I was also able to download from HarlequinTeen a companion novella, Summer's Crossing.

Here are the summaries from all four via Goodreads:
The Iron KingMeghan Chase has a secret destiny; one she could never have imagined.
Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school or at home.
When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change.
But she could never have guessed the truth - that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face; and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart.


The Iron Daughter:  Half Summer faery princess, half human, Meghan has never fit in anywhere. Deserted by the Winter prince she thought loved her, she is prisoner to the Winter faery queen. As war looms between Summer and Winter, Meghan knows that the real danger comes from the Iron fey—ironbound faeries that only she and her absent prince have seen. But no one believes her.
Worse, Meghan's own fey powers have been cut off. She's stuck in Faery with only her wits for help. Trusting anyone would be foolish. Trusting a seeming traitor could be deadly. But even as she grows a backbone of iron, Meghan can't help but hear the whispers of longing in her all-too-human heart.

The Iron Queen:
My name is Meghan Chase.
I thought it was over. That my time with the fey, the impossible choices I had to make, the sacrifices of those I loved, was behind me. But a storm is approaching, an army of Iron fey that will drag me back, kicking and screaming. Drag me away from the banished prince who's sworn to stand by my side. Drag me into the core of conflict so powerful, I'm not sure anyone can survive it.
This time, there will be no turning back.

Summer's Crossing:  A Midsummer's Nightmare? Robin Goodfellow. Puck. Summer Court prankster, King Oberon's right hand, bane of many a faery queen's existence—and secret friend to Prince Ash of the Winter Court. Until one girl's death came between them, and another girl stole both their hearts.

Now Ash has granted one favor too many and someone's come to collect, forcing the prince to a place he cannot go without Puck's help—into the heart of the Summer Court. And Puck faces the ultimate choice—betray Ash and possibly win the girl they both love, or help his former friend turned bitter enemy pull off a deception that no true faery prankster could possibly resist.

An ebook exclusive novella from Julie Kagawa's Iron Fey series.


I have to admit, my favorite of all 4 was Summer's Crossing.  I loved that it was told from Puck's point of view, and had his sense of humor.  There were twists and turns, but all to be expected when Robin Goodfellow is involved.  I'll be honest, I didn't know where it was going to go, and for a 100ish page novella, that is rare for me.  

My least favorite book of the series was The Iron Daughter.  I had a really hard time just finishing the book, which made it hard to want to read The Iron Queen.  I'm glad I struggled through, because I really did like The Iron Queen.

Now, on to the love triangle.  I so wanted Meghan to be with Puck.  Ash was just too much of an ice prince (literally and figuratively).  I didn't like how he treated Meghan, though I realize why he did it, I still don't have to like it.  Meghan was strong without him, but when he was around, she turned simpering, which was annoying.  She wasn't her own person, she turned into a shadow of herself.  

Now, in The Iron Queen, she regained her strength and sass, even while around Ash, and I think thats why I enjoyed that one more. 

I wanted to finish this series before we left on our trip, as I had borrowed them from the library.  I think I will reread them when I have more time, so I can really sit and think about what was going on.  All in all, if I taught high school, or even 8th grade, I'd have this series in my classroom, especially if we were reading A Midsummer Night's Dream

#TeamPuck all the way! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gold stars given to good comments.