Follow me on Pinterest

Followers

28 June 2011

Spellbound by Cara Lynn Shultz

In honor of Spellbound being released today, I thought I would post my review (my first in over a week!)

I really enjoyed Spellbound by Cara Lynn Shultz.  The idea of past lives, and finding your one true soulmate intrigued me from the beginning. 
 
Here is the summary from Goodreads:
What's a girl to do when meeting The One means she's cursed to die a horrible death?
Life hasn't been easy on sixteen-year-old Emma Conner, so a new start in New York may be just the change she needs. But the posh Upper East Side prep school she has to attend? Not so much. Friendly faces are few and far between, except for one that she's irresistibly drawn to—Brendan Salinger, the guy with the rock-star good looks and the richest kid in school, who might just be her very own white knight.
But even when Brendan inexplicably turns cold, Emma can't stop staring. Ever since she laid eyes on him, strange things have been happening. Streetlamps go out wherever she walks, and Emma's been having the oddest dreams: visions of herself in past lives—visions that warn her to stay away from Brendan. Or else.


I felt like Ms. Shultz gave enough of a twist, and had such enjoyable characters, that it didn't feel like other "past life" books that I had recently read. 

I really liked that Emma seemed like a real girl, and acted like a real high school girl (in my mind).  She was strong, she stood up for herself and her family, and she acted like a teenager (rather than an adult in a teen body).

I also liked that while Brenden intrigued her, Emma 1.) didn't gush all over him and 2.) when he did talk to her, didn't immediately decide they were in love.  That just doesn't happen!

I would like to point out that while I enjoyed reading this book, even reading it through a migraine, the minute I put it down to write my review, I forgot everything.  I had to go back and reread the entire book.  It wasn't a bad book, because it was so enjoyable, but it wasn't memorable.

If I taught high school, I would have no problem having this book on my shelf.


*I downloaded this book for free via NetGalley in exchange for a fair and honest review.  Also thank you to HarlequinTeen for approving me.*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gold stars given to good comments.