Follow me on Pinterest

Followers

27 April 2011

The Goddess Test

I love mythology, and I love seeing the old stories in a modern twist.  Which is probably why one of my favorite authors is Rick Riordan (Percy Jackson, The Kane Chronicles, and The Lost Hero series).  I am now adding Aimee Carter's The Goddess Test to my list of "Awesome Modern Myths".

Here is the synopsis via Goodreads:
It's always been just Kate and her mom—and her mother is dying. Her last wish? To move back to her childhood home. So Kate's going to start at a new school with no friends, no other family and the fear her mother won't live past the fall.Then she meets Henry. Dark. Tortured. And mesmerizing. He claims to be Hades, god of the Underworld—and if she accepts his bargain, he'll keep her mother alive while Kate tries to pass seven tests.
Kate is sure he's crazy—until she sees him bring a girl back from the dead. Now saving her mother seems crazily possible. If she succeeds, she'll become Henry's future bride, and a goddess.


 Like I said, I thought this book was a great mix of myths (or history as the immortals call it) and modern times.  Much like I did when I read The Westing Game, I kept notes on who I thought each immortal, or Council member, was.  I can't say I was 100% right, but I did alright.  

I really liked how Kate was her own person.  She wasn't mousy, she didn't fade into the background, she stood up for herself and what was right, even if it meant facing her greatest fears.  I also really appreciated that she took her time falling in love with Henry.  She didn't just wake up one morning and decide that she was head over heels for him.  She got to know him, became friends with him, spent time with him, and took a reasonable amount of time falling for him.

I do feel like something is off with James, that he is plotting something, but that is yet another reason why I can't wait for the sequel.  

*Funny story about this book---I saw it Monday at one of my local bookstores.  It was beside a book that was facing out (drawing more attention to that book).  I switched them.  I faced The Goddess Test out and the other book in!*  Looking back, since the book didn't come out until Tuesday, I'm not sure how this was possible, but oh well!

If you couldn't tell, I give this book a 5 out of 5.  Summer is coming, do yourself a favor and pick this book up. 

I was able to read an egalley via NetGalley (a digital copy, for free, in return for a fair and honest review), but the book came out this past Tuesday (so get over to your nearest bookstore!).




ps  Its even got a beautiful cover!

2 comments:

  1. Great review! I loved this book. I loved how she totally put her own spin on the myth. I loved Henry, actually I really loved all of the characters!

    I've totally put a better book in front of another book! This book totally deserved the extra recognition!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its so much easier to write about books I love! I loved that she didn't stick to the myths and put her own spin on things. It makes the story new and her own.

    Bookstores should just hire us to face books. I'd do it for free books...

    ReplyDelete

Gold stars given to good comments.