Follow me on Pinterest

Followers

08 January 2013

Review: Here Come The Girl Scouts! by Shana Corey

When I think of nonfiction and especially biographies, for some reason, I think of these big, horrible dusty old books that nobody has checked out from the library in years.  That the librarian only bought because he or she had to.  And I tend to shy away from them.  I don't know why, because there are so many great nonfiction books, especially biographies, out there now!  Take Here Come the Girl Scouts! by Shana Corey and illustrated by Hadley Hooper for example.....
Here Come the Girl Scouts!: The Amazing All-True Story of  Juliette 'Daisy' Gordon Low and Her Great Adventure 
 Image and summary by Goodreads:
The amazing, all-true story of the first Girl Scouts and their visionary founder.

Juliette Gordon Low--Daisy to her friends and family--was not like most girls of the Victorian era.

Prim and proper?

BOSH!

Dainty and delicate?

HOW BORING!

She loved the outdoors, and she yearned for adventure! Born into a family of pathfinders and pioneers, she too wanted to make a difference in the world--and nothing would stop her.

Combining her ancestors’ passion for service with her own adventurous spirit and her belief that girls could do anything, she founded the Girl Scouts. One hundred years later, they continue to have adventures, do good deeds, and make a difference!

Again, I picked this book up from the library because of the Nerdy Book Club "Nerdies".  At the time that I wrote this post, the nonfiction picture book winners hadn't been announced (so fingers crossed that it makes the Top 5!).  I had heard (read?) some great stuff about it on twitter before that, but the nomination really made me want to read it, in case I wanted to suggest it for the Virginia Reader's Choice.

Yes, not all the books I read are for my classroom, for fun, because I was asked to review.  I read some books to see if I'd like to nominate them for Virginia Reader's Choice.  But then, it turns into "I read it for fun", "will use in my classroon" and "will write a review" in the end!  

But, back to Here Comes the Girl Scouts!   Like it said in the summary, it is a biography of the founder of the Girl Scouts of America, Daisy Low.  From page 1, we learn that Daisy is different, she wants to do something with her life, she likes being outdoors, she likes going on adventures, she wants to make a difference.  

And, it wasn't a boring biography!  It gave fun tidbits.  The type was wavy and interesting.  The illustrations were great.  I wish all biographies were this fun yet informative.  

And yes....I'm nominating this for Virginia Reader's Choice elementary readers as I can see many girls, especially those in the Girl Scouts reading this.  Or, girls not in GS reading it and wanting to join. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gold stars given to good comments.