Follow me on Pinterest

Followers

02 January 2013

Review: Chopsticks by Amy Krouse Rosenthal

I picked up Chopsticks ( by Amy Krouse Rosenthal and illustrated by Scott Magoon) over Christmas break because I saw it on the Nerdy Book Club "Nerdies" nomination list for "Best Picture Book".  While it wasn't in the Top 5, I think its still a great story!
Chopsticks 
Image and summary from Goodreads:
Meet Chopsticks! They've been best friends forever. But one day, this inseparable pair comes to a fork in the road. And for the very first time, they have to figure out how to function apart. From New York Times best-selling author Amy Krouse Rosenthal and rising artistic talent Scott Magoon, this witty and inventive tale celebrates both independence and the unbreakable bonds of friendship.

Like I said, I thought this was a pretty cute book.  It teaches kids that its ok to be best friends and do everything together, but that you also need to be on your own some too.  The best part is that it's done in a cute, non-preachy way (ie---"You gotta go out on your own and be your own person.")

I thought of a couple kids I've known throughout the years when I read this book---those who just couldn't function on their own without their best friend by their side---and I wish they had a book like this (if it was a kid from years ago) or would read this and reflect. 

Most children have the idea of what chopsticks are, and that they are a pair (they go together).  It was really interesting to me to see what Ms. Rosenthal came up with for the single stick to do on his own.  I think if I read this to a class, I'd have them brainstorm what could be something that a single chopstick could do, or besides using them to eat with, what could you use a pair of chopsticks for?  

All in all, a super cute book and I'm glad I picked it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gold stars given to good comments.