Follow me on Pinterest

Followers

07 June 2012

Review: The Princess Curse by Merrie Haskell

Image from Goodreads

 From Amazon:
Twelve princesses suffer from a puzzling (if silly) curse, and anyone who ends it will win a reward. Reveka, a sharp-witted and irreverent apprentice herbalist, wants that reward. But her investigations lead to deeper mysteries and a daunting choice—will she break the curse at the peril of her own soul? 

If you didn't already know, I love fairy tale or myth retellings.  They are my absolute favorite type of book to read.  You get both the familiar story that everybody knows, plus the added bonus of a twist!  However, it takes a skilled author to take the familiar tale and make it their own---and I feel that Merrie Haskell did just that.

The story of the Twelve Dancing Princesses isn't one that I know by heart.  Sure, I recognize the title, and I remember that they had to dance all night, but I didn't remember why (its explained in the book).  Our story, The Princess Curse, uses the Twelve Dancing Princesses as its backbone, but is now told by Reveka, the plucky herbalist-apprentice.  Delving further into the story, other myths that I recognized were the name Vlad Tepes (Vlad the Impaler, aka Dracula), Corvinus (in the Underworld movie trilogy, Corvinus was the father of both vampires and werewolves), Hekat (Hecate, the Greek goddess of the dark arts, I think), Persephone / Demeter / Pluto, and Romanian mythological figures.

So, taking parts of all of these myths, The Princess Curse, begins with Reveka in trouble for something that she did because she thought it would break the curse on the princesses (we later find out that nobody has been able to break the curse for 6 years and that the people who have tried are now in a deep sleep and dying off).  Reveka, even though she promises her father she wouldn't interfere, decides to wake those who are asleep and as a result, break the curse.  With the help of a friend who is a witch, she makes a hat made of ferns (as it will confer invisibility) and follows the princesses on their nightly journey.  What she sees, she doesn't know how to fix.  However, she follows them again the next night to try and help.  However, she ends up trading her freedom for the freedom of the princesses and all the people.  And, because I don't want to give anything away, that's where I'll stop.  But, don't be sad for Reveka.  She's happy with her choice.

I was thoroughly entertained by this book.  I'm a little sad that I read it at the end of the school year and I can't share it with my kids until September! 

I really liked Reveka's spunk and determination.  She was brave and fair.  

The only thing that I didn't like about the book was that Reveka was 13.  She fell in love and had to make some adult choices (there was nothing inappropriate at all---I can't beat around the bush---she promises to marry someone).  I think 13 is a little young to be doing that, and maybe a 16 or 17 year old heroine would have been a little more appropriate.  

That being said, I still enjoyed the book (a lot!). 

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this book a lot too! Especially since I'm a fan of fairytales. It kind of weirded me out she was only 13 too, she really did have to make some adult decisions and some I didn't think was appropriate for younger readers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just kept thinking she was 16 or 17, but then some character would mention her age. Overall, good book, though!

      Delete

Gold stars given to good comments.