Follow me on Pinterest

Followers

04 June 2012

Armchair BEA, Day 1: Introducing....ME!


Design Credit: Emily of Emily's Reading Room
I know I should be jealous and maybe upset that I cannot attend BEA this year, but I'm not.  I'm content with staying home and spending the last week of school with my students.  I like interacting with people through Armchair BEA, I feel that I get to know them (and their blogs) a lot better. 

For the first day of Armchair BEA activities, we are "interviewing" ourselves.  So...here are some things you may not know about me...

Please tell us a little bit about yourself: Who are you? How long have you been blogging? Why did you get into blogging?
My name is Amanda Furman, I teach grades 3-5 English as a Second Language (English Language Learners, English Students of other Languages...whatever your district calls it).  I'm finishing up my 8th year teaching.  I've been blogging for a little over a year (my blogiversary is in January).  I got into blogging to become more aware of books that are out there for kids, from picture books to Young Adult.

What are you currently reading, or what is your favorite book you have read so far in 2012?
My favorite read so far is a tie between Scarlet by A.C. Gaughen and Wonder by RJ Palacio.  Both are amazing in totally different ways. 
I'm currently reading Pandemonium by Lauren Oliver.

Tell us one non-book-related thing that everyone reading your blog may not know about you.
I enjoy taking pictures and flowboarding (which is surfing or bodyboarding on a manmade wave).  I used to compete nationally in flowboarding (my husband is a past national champion), but I'm tired of the drama.  I just want to ride.
I also enjoy baking (my cheesecakes are amazing), and making/decorating chocolate candies (I'll sell you some)

If you could eat dinner with any author or character, who would it be and why?
I'd want to eat dinner with JK Rowling, I want to pick her brain about all things Harry Potter.  I'm sure she gets tired of it, but its my fantasy dinner! 

What literary location would you most like to visit? Why?
Hogwarts.  Why?  Who wouldn't want to visit Hogwarts! 

17 comments:

  1. I can not believe I didn't pick Hogwarts!! What was I thinking :) You make and sell chocolate candies?? NICE!! I just had my daughters grad party... I could have used your wares!

    Nice to meet you...see you around ArmchairBEA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dammit! Why didn't I pick Hogwarts?

    Also, I want to try Flowboarding!! It looks so cool and I have never done it! Must add to bucket list...

    Nice meeting you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Morning! Welcome to Armchair BEA. It is a pleasure to meet you!

    Thank you for teaching! It means a lot to our society!

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would LOVE to meet JK Rowling as well.... and visit Hogwarts! Could you imagine just staying there for one night? Heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My first attempt at cheesecake turned out HORRIBLY. I can cook, but baking and me just are not friends. I'm jealous, because cheesecake is fabulous.

    Also, YES Hogwarts. I think I may be going to HP World in a few months and I am SO EXCITED. Not the same thing, but I'll take it.

    Pleased to meet you, and thanks for stopping by my Armchair BEA Intro Post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Flowboarding sounds really cool. :) I've never tried it before, but if I gt the chance, I'll definitely have to try it. :D

    haha I said Hogwarts, too! :D I agree, seriously...who wouldn't want to go to Hogwarts?! Even if it was just a cheesy tour or something...Hogwarts would make the cheesy tour awesome. :D

    Thanks for sharing a bit about yourself, Amanda! :) It's awesome to meet you. :)
    Ambur
    My BEA Introduction Post

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am also reading Pandemonium by Lauren Oliver. I hate that I have to stop and catch up on Armchair BEA. ;)
    Also Hogwarts was my pick too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hello Amanda! I really enjoyed Pandemonium so I hope you well too. mm, your cheesecake and chocolate candies sound divine! nice to meet you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah! So glad you decided to join up for Armchair BEA. That sounds like a rewarding job, helping folks learn English. I loved Scarlet, have Wonder waiting for me, and just finished up Pandemonium. We must have matching TBR schedules :) Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha, omg, Hogwards! That's one interesting destination, maybe you could convince the author herself to get your some tickets there, over dinner :D Would work out nicely, I say.

    *sobs* I love cheesecake, now I'm gonna think about that all day, lol!

    Loved to get to know more about you :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay on J.K. and Hogwarts! I'm so with you on those answers. :) Also, I love the introduction and I so agree: you do get to know people and their blogs a lot better! Very true.

    Have a lovely evening! Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Amanda! I am so eager to read Wonder! I said that to another book club member earlier...we so need to sneak it onto the list ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Flowboarding sounds like a lot of fun! I'd never heard of it before.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have never heard of flowboarding and I'm not sure how that's possible! Also, Pandemonium is such a great book, I hope you're enjoying it!
    Thanks for stopping by The Bawdy Book Blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice to meet you Amanda! I loved Pandemonium by Lauren Oliver - the series is just awesome I hope your enjoying it.

    Cheesecakes mmmmmmmmm you've made me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I almost chose Hogwarts too! And I'd love to have one of your yummy cheesecakes, do you deliver to Cleveland? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I didn't answer the question of where would I want to go, but I agree who wouldn't want to go to Hogwarts? :)

    Your candies and cheesecake sound yummy. And flowriding sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete

Gold stars given to good comments.