Follow me on Pinterest

Followers

10 April 2012

Review: The Lacey Chronicles #2: The Queens Lady

I have always loved a good historical fiction.  It is my "go to" genre when I need something to read.  I used to tell myself it was because I was learning about some other time/place, but I really think its because it was easy to lose myself in the time period and imagine I'm there.  With The Queen's Lady (and the first in the series, The Other Countess) by Eve Edwards, I was able to do that.
Here is the summary from Goodreads:
England, 1584. 
When beautiful Lady Jane Rievaulx begins her service to the Queen at Richmond Palace, she is thrilled to see the court's newest arrival . . . Master James Lacey.
No matter that Jane was previously courted by the eldest Lacey brother—James is the one who has won her heart. For his part, James cannot deny his fascination with Jane; his plans, however, do not allow for love. He is about to set sail on a treacherous journey to the Americas, seeking absolution for what he sees as past sins. But when Jane is forced into a terrible situation by her own family, only one man can save her. Will Master James return to his lady before it's too late?

I liked Jane as a character from the first.  She was not the vain, spoiled lady of quality that she was supposed to be.  She had her own thoughts and did what she thought was best.  In The Queen's Lady, we see more of that.  Not only do we see more of her relationship with James, but we also see her disappointing relationship with her family.  Jane could easily been written as a "poor little rich girl", but she wasn't---she was strong, and if her family didn't love her for it, her friends certainly did. 

James was also given so much more depth.  It was revealed that he didn't want to stay at home, so he bought himself a commission and went to war.  He came back a changed person, and sometimes people don't realize that.  Ms. Edwards wrote that part of James with such delicacy that it was almost touching.  War is hard and it changes you---I can say that without ever having served in the military.  Ms. Edwards showed it, without even having to write a bloody battle scene.

As I was reading the first book in the series, The Other Countess, I hoped that Jane and James would act on their obvious feelings for each other.  We also got to see more of Ellie and Will, and meet Milly (Jane's friend who is the daughter of a disgraced Lord) and Diego (the Lacey's African servant) and watch love .all in love.

All in all, I loved this book / series.  I can't wait for the next to come out. 

Disclaimer:  I downloaded this book for free via Netgalley in exchange for a fair and honest review.

Publication Date:  Today!  (April 10)
ISBN:  9780385740913

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gold stars given to good comments.