Follow me on Pinterest

Followers

07 March 2012

Audiobook Review: Horton Halfpott by Tom Angelberger

Horton Halfpott OR The Fiendish Mystery of Smugwick Manor OR The Loosening of M'Lady Luggertuck's Corset by Tom Angelberger (@OrigamiYoda) is the first ever audiobook that I've listened to.

Here's the summary from Amazon:


I was wary of audiobooks because I know how I get when I have to listen to presentations (I don't), and I didn't want to "ruin" a book by not giving it my full attention.  Boy, was I pleasantly surprised!  Not only was I paying attention (it honestly was more attention than if I was actually reading the physical copy), but it was SO enjoyable!  I'm hooked on audiobooks!  Since my commute is about 30 minutes each way, I can really get some reading done!

The story itself was so cute and funny.  You fall in love with Horton, Bump, Blemish, Blight and Celia Sylvan-Smythe.  You want Horton to prevail because he's so good and kind.  You LOOOOOATHE Luther---he's quite dastardly, really.

There were so many loops and swoops and plans that I was kept guessing until the very end about who the thief was, where he had hidden The Lump and what was going to happen to Horton.  Honestly, its been a while since I've been THIS engaged with a book and its characters.

I was afraid that the narrator would have an annoying voice, or too soothing and I'd tune it out---but no!  Its a man with a very pleasant British accent.  He tries to do the different voices, or at least a different pitch than his own, and it works.  

I did have a little fun while I was listening and did a casting mash-up of Horton Halfpott and the cast of the PBS period drama, Downton Abbey---I admit, some didn't line up exactly (job position-wise), but personality---whoa!  I'm good, if I do say so myself.

Do yourself a favor, pick this book up, either in audio format or as a regular book.  You won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gold stars given to good comments.