Follow me on Pinterest

Followers

03 February 2012

Review: A Ball for Daisy by Chris Raschka

Here's the summary from Goodreads for this 2012 Caldecott Award winning book by Chris Raschka:
Here's a story about love and loss as only Chris Rashcka can tell it.  Any child who has ever had a beloved toy break will relate to Daisy's anguish when her favorite ball is destroyed by a bigger dog. In the tradition of his nearly wordless picture book Yo! Yes?, Caldecott Medalist Chris Raschka explores in pictures the joy and sadness that having a special toy can bring.  Raschka's signature swirling, impressionistic illustrations and his affectionate story will particularly appeal to young dog lovers and teachers and parents who have children dealing with the loss of something special.

My first thought when I finished "reading" this wordless picture book was, "OMG adorable!"  This was probably the cutest book that I have read since Knuffle Bunny (by Mo Willems).  Like I said, the book is wordless but the details in the illustrations are so wonderful, that words really aren't needed.

I took this book to school to share with my students (since I had borrowed it from the public library).  They are each writing a story based on the illustrations.  Each story is different, but that's ok!  They are really enjoying it (so much so that they are stopping me in the hall to ask if we can write all class period)

I read this book as part of my personal 2012 ALA Award winner challenge.  I'm trying to read all the winners and honorees of the Newbery, Caldecott, Pura Belpre, Michael Printz and Theodore Geisel awards.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gold stars given to good comments.