Follow me on Pinterest

Followers

14 December 2011

Seasons Readings: Christmas Cookies: Bite Size Holiday Lessons

Anticipation, tradition, disappointed, celebrate, appreciative, prosperity, charitable, believe, moderation.  All wonderful words that can be used to describe the holiday season.  In Christmas Cookies: Bite Size Holiday Lessons by Amy Krouse Rosenthal, we learn about these words (and more) in the context of baking Christmas cookies.
 
Here is the summary from Goodreads:
This scrumptious follow-up to the bestselling Cookies: Bite-Size Life Lessons captures the spirit of the holiday season. From making the same kind of cookies at the same time each year (tradition) to decorating them with lots of sprinkles (celebrate), youngsters will gobble up vocabulary words and holiday lessons in this charming dictionary of sorts.
Amy Krouse Rosenthal's timeless morsels of wisdom paired with Jane Dyer's cozy illustrations are as irresistible as the aroma of cookies fresh from the oven. Go ahead, take another bite!

I was in the library during my planning period this past Monday, looking for more books for Seasons Readings.  I asked our librarian (who is wonderful) if she had any suggestions, and this book was one of the first that she handed me.  She said she had just bought it, but people weren't really checking it out (maybe they didn't know about it yet), but that maybe I was the reason she bought it.  I'm so glad she did!  This was a wonderful book, possibly my favorite I've read for Seasons Readings! 

First, the illustrations were gorgeous.  There is one drawing of a little girl stirring the cookie dough that is just too cute for words.  I'd frame it and hang it in my kitchen.

Second, the story is just so sweet.  Each page has a different word that could be associated with the holidays (see above for some examples), but explain them in the context of baking cookies.  For example, "prosperity" is described as "My goodness, just look at all these cookies!"  Is it simple?  Yes.  Is it enjoyable?  ABSOLUTELY! 

Even though I now know there is a copy readily available in the library, I want a copy for myself! 
Don't forget to head over to the Seasons Readings page to check out the other books and reviews, and to link up your own!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gold stars given to good comments.