Follow me on Pinterest

Followers

10 December 2011

Review: Pinata in a Pine Tree

Again, Pinata in a Pine Tree: The Latino 12 Days of Christmas by Pat Mora is another book I bought just because of the title and cover.  I thought, "What a cute concept!  My kiddos would love this!", so I bought it!  And I'm so glad I did!
Here is the summary from Goodreads:
An award-winning author and a rising star artist have put a festive Latino twist on "The Twelve Days of Christmas," populating it with piñatas in place of partridges, plus burritos bailando (dancing donkeys), lunitas cantando (singing moons), and much more, all displayed in the most vivid colors imaginable. In this version a little girl receives gifts from a secret amiga, whose identity is a sweet surprise at the book's conclusion. There are things to find and count in Spanish on every page, with pronunciations provided right in the pictures and a glossary and music following the story. This joyous fiesta will warm even the coldest of hearts.

I loved that Pinata in a Pine Tree is a bilingual book and that readers have to use context clues to figure out words they might not know.  I also liked that on each page was a pronunciation guide.  Also included in the back matter is a glossary and pronunciation guide.  The author (Pat Mora) and the illustrator (Magaly Morales) included notes on their Christmas traditions and why this means a lot to them.

I really enjoyed reading this book, and I can see myself singing this with my students.  

*Update*  I shared this book with my 4th grade group and they LOVED it!  They want me to type up the lyrics so they can share with classmates and family!

Don't forget to head over to the Seasons Readings Page to check out the other books/reviews and to link up your own! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gold stars given to good comments.