Follow me on Pinterest

Followers

09 December 2011

Review: The Legend of the Candy Cane

The Legend of the Candy Cane: The Inspirational Story of Our Favorite Christmas Candy by Lori Walburg was a cute, quick read that was pretty enjoyable.
Here is the summary from Goodreads:
One dark November night a stranger rides into a small prairie town. Who is he? Why has he come? The townspeople wish he were a doctor, a dressmaker, or a trader. But the children have the greatest wish of all, a deep, quiet, secret wish. Then a young girl named Lucy befriends the newcomer. When he reveals his identity and shares with her the legend of the candy cane, she discovers fulfillment of her wishes and the answer to her town's dreams. Now will she share what she has learned?
 
I wasn't expecting the book to be a story-within-a-story.  I really was just expecting it to be about the man who created candy canes, not about a man opening a candy store and telling the legend to a little girl.  That was a little disappointing, but in the backmatter, the author includes the History of the Candy Cane.  
 
It was a cute book, however, I would caution readers that it does mention Jesus (in an era of holiday political correctness, I felt I needed to mention).  Personally, I know that none of my parents would mind if I read this story aloud, but I think I'll just have it in my classroom library for children to choose.  
 
I should mention that the illustrations are beautifully done.  The details to the people are astounding, they almost look like photographs.  
 
Don't forget to head over to the Seasons Readings page and check out other books / reviews and to link up your own! 

1 comment:

  1. The idea behind this book sounds really fun. I think it would be nice to read to see what the story really is all about. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Gold stars given to good comments.