Follow me on Pinterest

Followers

08 November 2011

Top Ten Books That I Read That Were Outside Of My Comfort Zone

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and The Bookish.  This week's Top 10 list is: 
Ten Books That I Read That Were Outside Of My Comfort Zone (whether you liked them or not)

10.  Any science, math, sociology, psychology or religion text book that I've ever had to read for school.
*They just made NO sense!  Give me a history book any day....

9.  American Born Chinese by Gene Luen Yang
*It was the first graphic novel I ever read.  It was not my favorite book, but I'm glad I stuck with graphic novels.

8.  Dreamcatcher by Stephen King
*Scary books + aliens + very descriptive = not for me

7.  The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
*Dear 10th grade English Teacher (Mrs. S), Huh?  I still don't get it.  What eyes?  They mean something?  Can't I just read the Cliff's notes?  Love, Amanda

6.  Ruled Britannia by Harry Turtledove
*An alternate history, which is a concept that intrigues me, but I couldn't get into the book.  Later, I found out from my husband (who LOVES this author) that I should have started with one of his other books first....oh well....

5.  Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
*Dear 10th Grade English Teacher, Why?  Love, Amanda

4.  A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier by Ishmael Beah
*It was heartbreakingly beautiful.  This was the first memoir that I ever read.

3.  Anything by Max Lucado

2.  Tricks by Ellen Hopkins
*I felt like I was dirty and needed a shower after reading that book.  I had to follow it with something funny.  It hurt my heart to read.

1.  Push by Sapphire
*This is the book that the movie, Precious, is based on.  This was another that hurt my heart.  I refuse to watch the movie. 

3 comments:

  1. Love your description of reading Tricks; I experienced similar feelings.

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Push was a heartbreaking book, wasn't it? I don't think I could watch the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some of these stories are really sad, but good reading.
    Here's my Post

    ReplyDelete

Gold stars given to good comments.