Follow me on Pinterest

Followers

09 September 2011

Link to book resources for 9/11

I realized Wednesday that the current crop of 4th graders (for the most part) were not alive when 9/11 happened.  They had seen stuff on the news, heard people talking about it, read about it in their Scholastic Weekly Reader, but have no actual connection to it.  It floored me, but I guess this is how my parents felt when they talked to me about the Kennedy assassination, or when Martin Luther King, Jr was killed.  Yes, I can tell you all sorts of facts about those horrible acts, but I can't speak to the emotion of the time at all.

To help our students better understand this tragic event, here is a slideshow list of books that would be great to use to talk about 9/11. 

If that doesn't work, here are the titles/authors:
-14 Cows for America by Carmen Agra Deedy
-Fireboat by Maira Kalman
-The Little Chapel that Stood by A.B. Curtis
-September Roses by Jeanette Winters
-The 9/11 Report: A Graphic Adaptation by Sid Jacobson and Ernie Colon
-America is Under Attack by Don Brown
-9/11 Artists Respond
-With Their Eyes by Annie Thoms
-On That Day, A book of hope for Children by Andrea Patel
-911: The Book of Help (Authors Respond)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gold stars given to good comments.