Follow me on Pinterest

Followers

25 March 2011

The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place: Book 2, The Hidden Gallery

I was lucky enough to snag the one and only copy of this book at our local Barnes and Noble the day it came out.  I loved the first book (The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place:  Book 1, The Mysterious Howling), and author Maryrose Wood didn't disappoint in book 2.

Again, we find our beloved Miss Lumley employed as govnerness to the three Incorrigible children:  Alexander, Beowulf, and Cassiopeoia.  This time, they are visiting London at the behest of Miss Lumley's former headmistress, Miss Charlotte Mortimer.  Of course, Lady Constance can't pass up a chance to go to London, so she drags Lord Ashton with her. 

After a near mishap on the train, Miss Lumley and the children get lost in London and meet a Gypsy fortune teller who tells the children that "the hunt is on." 

I don't want to give away the ending, but after several humorous twists, turns and adventures, the book leaves you wondering:  who (and where) are Miss Lumley's parents?  Who (and where) are the Incorrigible's real parents?  Are Miss Lumley and the Incorrigible's related?  And, what is up with Lord Ashton?

Being 28, I feel I can wager a good guess at the answer to these questions.  However, seeing that the book was written for upper elementary / middle school readers, its perfect.  The reader will be "howling" for answers....and book number 3!

I would definitely use this series in my classroom.  There is some old fashioned vocabulary and harder words, but that is why I'm doing it as a read aloud, so I can offer support when needed.  I think it would be a great read aloud at home too (parents, you'll find this book pretty funny, too).  I give this book 5 stars.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gold stars given to good comments.